Museum Bauska \

- BAUSKA MUSEUM (short history)
- Nav

BAUSKA MUSEUM (short history)





   The museum was founded in January, 1947. Idea of the museum formation belongs to the local intelligence even before the World War II; however it did not come true.

   In December, 1946 the Culture and Education Establishments’ Committee of the Council of Ministers of the Latvian SSR, issued ruling to organize the Bauska Region Study Museum instead of the former Church Art and History Museum in Rundale. First premises for the Museum were shown in the Rīgas Street No 6 – methodology lab of the Culture-education department, but soon after a year in May, 1948 the Museum gained new premises in the Kalna Street No 16 (former Padomju Street) and opened four sections there: nature, history, Great Patriotic War and Socialistic Construction. After a few years, on the 6th November, 1950 the Museum moved to the Kalna Street 6 – its present location.

“Dark” day of the Museum’s history is the 2nd February, 1954 when with the robbed exhibit – Nagant revolver, a cleaner was shot dead. 

   On the 8th January, 1957 the applied art group was founded joining 59 participants lead by Mrs. Milda Skane.

   On the 1st August, 1958 the Museum got its present name: Museum of Regional Studies and Art of Bauska. The Rundale Palace and the Bauska Castle ruins became its branches.

   Important day was the 18th September, 1967 when the applied art group received status of the Folk Applied Art Studio.

   In the end of the 1970s the work at exhibition reinstallation was begun and in result of that the nature section of the Museum was removed. In 1989 Bauska Castle Museum was formed and for the Museum of Regional Studies and Art time of changes set in again.

In the first half of the 1990s the Museum got a new building where the Folk Applied Art Studio found its placement. Rooms for a workshop as well as for the exhibitions have been obtained. 

   The 1990s were a serious trial not only for Bauska’s Museum but for all museums in Latvia. Museums are re-organised and fighting for existence. Education becomes one of the Museum’s functions and new opportunities opened here: contracts with schools about visiting the Museum; attractive exhibitions and expositions; competitions for readers and spectators. Special attention is paid for local minorities’ research – expositions about Lithuanians, Jews, and Germans in Bauska are prepared.

   In 2000 the Museum got accreditation certificate that grants it status of a state acknowledged museum with rights to participate in the state financed projects. In 2005 the recurrent accreditation is done.

   The museum staff successfully has worked out a new attractive historic exposition “Bauska in Time and People in Bauska, 20th century”. The research work of the region’s history is going on with a special focus on less known, less investigated or been kept in silence pages of our history. Historical descriptions are placed in the local newspaper “Bauskas Dzīve” and other mass Medias regularly. Active life of art exhibitions is going on offering to visit as Latvian as foreign artists’ exhibitions.  

   The Museum has entered the Millennium with active and attractive work, focused on improvement and deepening of visitors’ needs, interests, knowledge and recreation opportunities. Museum – it is not a storage of old odds and ends – as sometimes society thinks. It is an always variable environment where everybody can find something useful and needed.    


It is the only museum in our district that collects, completes and popularizes materials of history of the region and the town concerning archaeology, art, and ethnography.